Oh. Em. Gee. Seventeen. Days.
In this long process called marathon training, there has only been one day that I feared almost as much as the actual marathon itself. That was the day I had to tackle my longest run ever, that was my peak distance day, that was the day I had to run twenty long, sweaty miles.
Oh, that was today.
Oh, and I killed it!
I’m being honest when I tell you that I wasn’t sure I’d be able to do it…run all twenty. Which in turn made me fear that I wouldn’t be able to finish the entire marathon come August 27th. Today turned that all around! (I’m sure it didn’t hurt that it was only in the seventy degree range with a nice overcast.) For the first time I truly feel that I will be able to conquer the beast that is twenty six point two miles long.
So in honor of my twenty miles this morning, I will give you twenty things on my mind regarding this crazy marathon thing.
1. I can’t believe I am actually doing this. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine I’d be running a marathon. It just goes to show that anyone can do anything they put their mind to!
2. I am so excited and honored to be running for Girls on the Run as a SoleMate. Thank you to everyone who has donated or purchased soaps from Soap It Up or purchased notecards from angheartsdesign! There is still time to donate or purchase notecards if you’d like to help!!!
3. I have finally found the perfect sports bra for long runs after months of searching and trying on hundreds of different ones. Thank you Victorias Secret. I still haven’t decided what I’m going to wear on the day of the marathon, though. Well, I’ve decided which shorts I’ll be wearing, but I can’t decide on a top. I’m still on the hunt for a sweet hot pink running tank (but I’m super picky!) to match my sweet new shoelaces…let me know if you see any!
4. I think I’ve found a short term remedy for my hurting knee. It worked for me today!
5. I need my Mamzie’s to create me a new special headband for the race. I can’t wait to brainstorm with her and see what she makes!
6. I can’t wait to spend some time carbo-loading…noodles are now one of my favorite foods! Olive Garden on the 26th anyone?!
7. I don’t know what I should eat the morning of the marathon. So far all of the breakfasts I’ve had before long run have not been very nice on my tummy. I’m definitely not having oatmeal (learned that today). I’m thinking Larabar and a banana?
8. I’ve been thinking about possible goals for my marathon time…and I have many different ones in my head. There are so many variables that can play into how I will run: heat, hills, humidity, my knee, ect.
9. My main goal is to finish the marathon…and hopefully that will be under five hours.
10. My ultimate super-awesome goal would be to finish the marathon in four hours and thirty minutes.
11. I haven’t been very consistent with my pace during long runs…so I really don’t know which goal is most reachable. Case in point, my eighteen mile long run I ran in three hours and ten minutes. I ran today’s twenty miler in three hours and nine minutes (and forty-four seconds). Makes zero sense.
12. Today I kicked it with an average pace of 9:29 per mile. That’s pretty rockstar for me, and I’d totally be happy with that on race day!
13. Today I enjoyed the hills on my route. The hills in Kansas City scare me.
14. I’m so happy that I will have my hubby and momma there on marathon day to cheer me on! If anyone else wants to attend, PLEASE DO! :) I’m also excited to have so many of my friends running the marathon relay the same day. It will be awesome having them there, also, and hopefully I can keep up with them for awhile!
15. So far I’ve kept all my toenails intact. I am (maybe overly) optimistic that I will keep all hot pink ten of them when this is all said and done!
16. I’m excited that it is now the start of taper time, and it is crazy that twelve miles seems like cake now.
17. I’m looking forward to the celebration after the marathon. I’m waiting to truly celebrate my birthday until after this, so I hope all my dinner club friends know that I’ll be living it up that night! (Or I might just be sleeping…)
18. I’m literally afraid that I won’t be able to walk when I’m finished. I hope the hubs know he might have to carry me places for awhile.
19. I can’t believe I’m actually doing this!
20. Oh, did I mention I rocked twenty miles today? BOOM!
Do you have any advice for me? I sure could use it!