First Official Race Recap!

I am so excited to write this post!  I have been reading other bloggers’ race recaps for a long time now, and they have provided me with so much inspiration for my own upcoming races.  This is my first chance to write a race recap since I’ve started blogging.

I should probably start from the beginning…the very beginning…

On Decemeber 31st, 2009, my girlfriends and I were wrote down our New Year’s Resolutions for 2010.  After we wrote them down, we shared them with one another, then we stored them away to be opened the next New Year’s Eve.  One of my resolutions was to run a half marathon.  Needless to say, when we opened them up again on December 31st, 2010, I didn’t get to put a pretty shining star next to any of my resolutions for that year…I hadn’t completed even one!  So, once again, we wrote down our new resolutions for 2011, and again one of my goals was to run a half marathon.

I started training right away in January, and my girlfriends and I did our first race of the year in February.  It was a four mile race and I surprised myself how well I did.  I continued training and at the beginning of March my girlfriends and I did another race, and I completed my first 10K (you can read a little bit about that on this previous post). We didn’t have another race scheduled until April 16th, which is the day our the half marathon…so my girlfriend, Casey (whose goal is also to run a half marathon this year) and I were talking and decided that we should do one more 10K to gear us up for the half marathon.  That’s when we decided to run Rock the Parkway.

Friday night I had to work, and I didn’t get to my friend (who ran the 5K!) Heather’s house until after midnight.  My hubby and I checked into Chateau Habermehl (our special room in her home) and I went straight to bed because I was extremely tired.  Even though I was full of excitement and nerves for the race, I slept like a baby, and when my alarm went off at 6:19am (I never set my alarm for even numbers because I don’t like even numbers), and did NOT want to get out of bed.

I snoozed one time, and then I was in a scurry to get ready for the race.  I dressed quickly, fixed my hair, and put on my make-up (yes, mascara is always a necessity), and then I ran downstairs, grabbed my breakfast and went out to the car with my two friends.  {Oh no, I forgot my purse…run back in, up the stairs, grab it, run back down, run to the car…nice warm-up!}

As nervous as I was that we were going to be late, we arrived with plenty of time.  We walked up to the start line about five minutes before the runners who were doing the half marathon were going to start.  Of course, I had to use the bathroom because at that time my nerves were running wild!  We met up with more friends, went and found the lovely port-a-potties, and then walked down to the start line for the start of the 10K race.  Before I knew it, the horn sounded and I was off!

The first mile went by really fast.  I wasn’t timing myself, but I was tempted to check my phone/mp3 player that I had in my pocket to estimate how fast I was running.  I decided not to because I had visions of it falling out of my pocket and shattering on the pavement.  Instead, I just told myself that if I kept up with the man wearing black and red jersey-ish spandex shorts in front of me then I would be doing well.

The second mile was pretty good, but not quite as awesome as the first.  I kept up with spandex man, but the first half of the course was a gradual and continuous uphill, so it was quite challenging.

The third mile I was feeling really pooped out.  I felt like I was slowing down, and I didn’t want to have to slow down!  I could still see my spandex pacer ahead of me, so I tried to push through it.  One thing that I loved about this race was that there were so many more spectators than I’d ever experienced, so seeing and reading peoples’ posters put a smile on my face and kept me putting one foot in front of the other.  One of my favorite signs read…

About this time I started catching up with the official pacers for the half marathon (there weren’t pacers for the 10K).  The half marathon kicked off fifteen minutes before the 10K, and by the time our courses broke off from each other, I had already passed the 2:35 pacer for the half marathon.  That made me feel really happy and excited to run my first half in a couple weeks!

During mile four, I got over the hump from mile three and I was beginning to feel better again.  There wasn’t as much uphill anymore and it was mixed in with some level and a little downhill.  This mile was pretty uneventful…I just kept telling myself I was more than halfway done and I was searching for mile marker five.

Miles five and six felt amazing.  I finally decided to check the time, and although I wasn’t timing myself, based on what time it was and what time the race started, I knew I was on pace to finish in under 60 minutes (which was my goal).  I picked up my pace a little bit since I was feeling great, and by mile six the course was all a slight downhill.  I hadn’t yet (or ever in my racing life yet) gotten a drink from the drink stations, but I decided to try during mile five.  I grabbed a gatorade from a cute little girl, but I was too scared that I was just going to spill it all over my face and jacket in front of all these people that I ended up just throwing it to the side.  I saw mile marker six and I knew I was on the home stretch.  Unfortunately I lost track of my wonderful spandex runner, but I was so happy to be almost done that I picked up my pace even more!  Finally I saw the finish line ahead and I ran even faster!  When I saw that the timer was on 52 minutes and a some seconds, I ran even faster!  I couldn’t believe what I was doing!

I crossed the finished line when the clock read 53 minutes and 20 seconds.

I met up with all my friends at the finish line as we all were finishing the race.  I am so proud of all of them for finishing, for setting new personal records, and some for running their first race ever!  I was beaming all day long about what I had accomplished…killing my first 10K time by ten minutes!!!

I saw the official results yesterday and I got even more excited!  I finished with a chip time of  52 minutes and 57.6 seconds, placing 12th out of 233 in my age group!




12 thoughts on “First Official Race Recap!

  1. U are beautiful! How the heck do you look so amazing after running that race?!!

    I am so proud of you!!! Congrats girl and congrats on your placing!! u are amazing!!

    Seriously, u are too sweet, and too bad we dont live closer, you seem like a great friend to have and hang out with!!!

    • Aww thank you!!! I know…too bad because I’d love to hang out with you! Maybe someday when I’m rich (so probably never) I can plan a vacation to where you are!

  2. Congrats on your 10K!! 12th place is amazing!!! I ran my very first half-marathon last year, but I think 10K’s are my very favorite distance. (they’re less painful the next day for sure!)

    Good luck with the rest of your training!!

  3. This is awesome! My boyfriend and I are wanting to do our first 5k here soon, and training for a sprint distance triathlon! I’m not much of a runner yet, but I’m trying to be. This was great for me to read right now. Good luck next week on the half-marathon!! Congrats for sticking to your goals

  4. Pingback: “Now You’re a Real Runner,” said the little devil; Race Recap |

  5. Pingback: A Few Friday Favs |

  6. Pingback: Two Thousand and Eleven, It’s Been Lovely |

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s